Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter- He is Risen.

Some of the things Jesus told his disciples ( and us) before his betrayal, denials, sentence, crufixion, burial, and rising.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in Me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." Thomas said to him, " Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, " I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen Him." John 14:1-6
" Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father.." John 14:9b
" You heard Me say, ' I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on Me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded Me. Come now, let us leave."
John 14:28-31

" I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener." John 15:1
" I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bear much fruit; ap[art from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
" My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down hsi life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. "
John 15:12-14
" This is my command: Love each other." John 15:17

" I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. " John 16:33


THE EMPTY TOMB:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went into the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said," They have taken the Lord out of the tomb and we do not know where they have put Him!". So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. he saw the strips of linen lying there. as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head. The cloth was folded up by itself , separate from the linen. Finally,the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed.( They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead).
JESUS APPEARS TO MARY MAGDALENE:
Then the disciples went back to their homes, but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. They asked her, " Woman, why are you crying?". "They have taken my Lord away," she said. " and I don't know where they have put Him." As this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. " Woman," he said, " why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?" Thinking he was the gardener, she said, " Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have put Him, and I will get Him." Jesus said to her, " Mary!" She turned toward Him, and cried out in Aramaic, " Rabboni!"( which means Teacher). Jesus said , " Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them,' I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: " I have seen the Lord!" And she told them that He had said these things to her.




The red: Jesus' words.

The disciple Jesus loved: John. was the son of Zebedee, and brother of James, who was also a disciple of Jesus.

Simon Peter: either the son of John or the son of Jonah. was crucified upside-down, because he didn't feel worthy to die the same way his Lord Jesus did. his brother was Andrew was also a disciple of Jesus.

Mary Magdalene: Jesus cleansed her from demons ( Luke 8:2 NIV).

I will post a picture of VJ's empty tomb, and my painting of one later.



No comments: