Tuesday, February 9, 2010

August 2009 Shuttle Launch

For those of you who don't know, in August of 2009, we went down to Florida, Cape Canaveral, Florida, and saw the Space Shuttle Discovery lift-off. What an amazing experience! VJ even got to push the button ( a button on Dad's radio), to make it lift-off! Dad wanted to see one, and them we kids and Mom hadn't seen one, so it was a trip before they disappear. :)
Discovery, ready for lift-off!
What a great view( with the help of Dad's
camera....a long distance zoom).

The V.A.B. building at night. Dad took the pic
from the place where we were going to watch the launch.



And even better picture of Discovery.






A shuttle or rocket engine. I forget now which.
All I remember is that it's an engine!



The V.A.B. .






Inside the V.A.B., an external tank in progress...
I think.


Mr. Sleepy( aka:VJ) and Noah, in our posh apartment.
See me in the background?
We had this nice porch/balcony, and it was wonderful
to go out there, lean gently on the rail, and look out at
sea, and smell the salty air......ah!




Same V.A.B. . Just back a little.



For those of you who don't know, or don't remember what "V.A.B." means, it means Vehicle Assembly Building. Dad said that where they assemble the shuttle, screw it together, set it on the launch pad, and them roll it out, on a big, huge tractor like thing. The launch pad ( my seeing from a video on YouTube with Dad) is on the truck, so the truck just pulls away and leaves the Shuttle, External Tank, and Solid Rocket Boosters sitting there. I hope I got everything right!
We even have a video of the lift off! I'll try to post that next. Dad and I both took a video; I with his camera and then he did his big expensive camera.
Katy




No comments: